Sunday, April 18, 2010

EST01 - Crack Repair on an Esterbrook Cap

My first Esterbrook developed a small crack in the cap lip after i bought it.  I assume that it came from posting the cap onto the pen and forcing what must have been a small crack apart.  After a lot of research and reading on the FPN I decided to attempt to solvent weld the crack back together.  Apparently the celluloid that the Esterbrooks are made from solvent weld with either MEK or acetates.  A thread on the FPN suggested that Testors model cement 3502 should work, and would come in a small bottle.

I picked up a bottle of 3502 from my local hobby shop for around $3, and it claimed to contain both MEK and Acetates. Score!!  Then I gathered my materials for the crack repair.


The steps I followed to complete the repair are:
  1. I thouroughly cleaning the inside of the cap with the water and q-tips so that my solvent weld joint would not be ink stained.
  2. Apply a small amount of Testors to the break from the inside of the cap.
  3. Squeeze the cap slightly to facilitate the glue wicking into the break.
  4. Wait a Minute.
  5. Apply more solvent to the break on the inside.
  6. Wait a Minute.
  7. Apply a very small amount of glue to the outside of the cap on the break.
  8. Wait a few hours.
  9. Polish out the repair with the micromesh.
I am quite pleased with the result.  It is still slightly visible because of it's different color.  This could be just me imagining that I can see it, because my wife can not, or it could be a bit of ink that seeped into the weld.  Either way, I can not feel the crack any more, and it seems stout.  I will be very careful about posting the cap on this pen in the future.  All in all, a very successful first restoration project. Just 2 more to go on this pen!


No comments:

Post a Comment